This week I’ve been design and creating dungeon tiles rollers for terrain crafting. The goal is to create a simple pattern that can be replicated around a roller to create a consistent imprint on XPS foam.
The first version was kludged together and mostly work, but the imprint was not square and the design process wasn’t elegant. The second version highlighted errors in the process which could be seen in the distortion when comparing the X & Y directions. 25mm (1 inch ) in X to 29 mm (1 1/8 inch) in the Y direction. Rescaling the size of the cylinder corrected this mistake. Finally, I just need some more patterns…
Research & References
Most research starts with a search (Duck Duck Go in this case) to find suitable images & other resources. It has been very useful having the name of the tile patterns, along with the images to use for inspiration.
- Tile Patterns: The Ultimate Quick Read Beginner’s Guide – This is great because of the clear photos of the tile patterns
- 10 Tile Patterns to Showcase Your Floor – Repeats the patterns from the above, although the images of the basketweave & Windmill Patterns are nice & Clear.
- Travertine Tiles A Unique And High-End Option – This one just for the clear photo of the Versailles tile pattern
- Two Tile Patterns – A great collection of two tile patterns.
- 6 Awesome Historic Floor Tile Patterns – Useful because of the hex and penny-round patterns
Running Bond Tile Pattern