One of the choices a Player Character can have in Cyberpunk 2020 is to sell out. Basically, it’s more chrome for young punks at the cost for servitude to the Corporation, Covert Military, or Organised Crime. New players can access these easy packages of cyberware. Providing them with Cyber-Soldier, Netrunner, Tech Support, Faceman, and a Bioware focused pack.
Pages 93 & 94 cover the details of selling out and as a GM it does provide many opportunities to make the character’s lives more difficult. An organization’s coercion technique is hidden in the GM’s notes adds some paranoia to the game.
An example of a corporate’s holdover a character is Case from Necromancer. Having been locked out of the net by his past, Armitage offers a treatment to give him what he wants. As always, life is not that simple as the treatment is temporary, requiring Armitage’s cure.[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHQqm6ijntg[/embedyt]
Having a character selling out leads to some interesting adventure hooks.
- Forced employment or jobs you can refuse is a starting point to kick off an adventure.
- What about a list of the ’employees’ gets out…
- into the hands of the PCs. With them discovering who’s working for who,
- or into the hands of their enemies,
- The question can become what information…
- Names, Locations, Tracking signal, or Kill codes?
- How could a PC escape their employer?
- How can you remove a corporation’s hooks in a character,
while existing under their watchful gaze?